JUBILEE NEWSLETTER - JUNE 2012
Hello, here we are in spring approaching summer, thankfully the winter months are now behind us. Spring is a wonderful season as gardens and trees start to fill out with new growth, the nights get lighter and the weather gets warmer (although it seems to be getting colder instead of warmer). Getting out and about becomes more appealing and for those less fortunate who are not able to get out the view out of the window is so much nicer with all the different colours from flowers like daffodils, snowdrops, pansies and the blossom on the trees.
Hopefully over the next couple of months the weather will improve and we can look forward to our outings to Polam Hall School for the sunshine party, Thornton Hall, Redcar and not forgetting the indoor street party to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee. We may not be able to guarantee the weather but we can guarantee that there will be good Christian fellowship, a cup of tea and a smile at all our events.
I look forward to seeing all of you during the next few months either on the outings or in your homes .Please feel free to contact me anytime (I have my mobile phone with me most times) if you have any concerns, need any information or just want a chat.
The Quiz Night in February at All Saints Church raised £220.00. A popular event enjoyed by all. Looking forward to the next one! Thanks to Anne and Brian Tyreman.
The Sponsored Hymn Singing in March raised a fantastic £674.00. Our thanks to Pam Martin and the ladies of Cockerton Methodist Church, as well as everyone who sponsored a hymn of course.
Due to various problems, no fundraising events have been held in April or May.
Our newest Trustee, Julia Bean is holding a private Jubilee Garden Party, but asking for donations from all her friends and family in aid of Darlington Town Mission. Ray and I are attending – its fancy dress! We may share the photos later.
ElmRidge GardenParty– Saturday 9th June. We have been chosen to receive a donation from the proceeds of the garden party this year. We are also planning on having a fundraising stall – Plate Smashing! It was very popular last time we did this and we had a queue all afternoon. Let’s see what happens this time!
Tombola at Morrison’s Morton Park.This is to be held on Saturday 16th June.
Town Carnival– Saturday 30th June, in Stanhope Park. We will be there with games for the children.
SATURDAY 14th July FROM 5 TO 8PM.
£7 per person, to include burgers, sausages, salad and dessert. Please bring your own drinks.
Tickets for this fundraising event can be purchased from
Sue Murton phone 01325-243765, or Derek Mills 01325-374758
Dates for your diary.
Street Collection – Saturday 22nd September
Carol Service – Friday 14th December.
January Quiz - Answers
All the answers are something to do with the seaside.
1. A central place of safety in traffic? Island
2. J R Hartley was one? Angler
3. Part of the heart that gets warmed? Cockles
4. A camel train? Caravan
5. Waste material on the beach? Flotsam
6. Too few on Titanic? Lifeboats
7. It’s only “Bill” from over the sea? Barnacle
8. Hyacinth …. ? Bucket
9. Cadbury’s chewy bar? Picnic
10. Fred and Wilma’s daughter? Pebbles
1. We know the Queen loves Corgis, but she has also had 11 Dorgis, what is a Dorgi?
2. What is the Queen’s wedding ring made from?
3. What year did the Queen learn to drive?
4. How many godchildren does the Queen have?
5. How many Royal Variety Performances has the Queen attended?
6. Which FA Cup final did the Queen first attend?
7. How many portraits has the Queen sat for during her reign?
8. How long did Queen Victoria reign?
9. How many Grandchildren does the Queen have?
10. How many Corgis does the Queen have at present?